Caltrans will temporarily close Bore #3 of the Caldecott Tunnel and a 3/4-mile-long stretch of westbound Highway 24 west of the tunnel in Oakland for several hours during the early morning of Sunday, March 2nd. The purpose of the closure is to facilitate the removal of 80-foot-wide highway directional sign that has been replaced by new directional signs.
Eastbound traffic on SR-24 will not be impacted by this closure, and will remain open to traffic.
In order to minimize disruptions to motorists along the SR-24 corridor, Caltrans has scheduled work to occur during a period of typically low traffic volume. We thank motorists in advance for their cooperation during the upcoming closure.
Motorists are encouraged to use alternative routes during this temporary closure.
Pending favorable weather conditions, the following closures and detours are planned:
Sunday, March 2 from 12:01 am – 5 am
- Orinda: The left lanes of westbound SR-24 will be closed
- Bore #3 and westbound SR-24 in Oakland from the Caldecott Tunnel to the westbound 24/northbound 13 connector ramp will be closed to traffic
Saturday, March 1 from 6 pm – Sunday, March 2 at 11 am
- The westbound Caldecott Lane On-Ramp in Oakland will be closed to traffic
- To access Highway 13: Motorists using Bore #4 will be detoured to the Caldecott Lane off-ramp in Oakland to access north and southbound Highway 13. (Please see detour map below)
- To continue westbound: Motorists continuing westbound will be detoured north across the Kay Street Bridge and west on Broadway to the westbound Broadway on-ramp in Oakland (Please see detour map below)