Have you seen the digital transit shelters that let you play games while waiting for the bus? Heard of the bike trail they’re planning to build under the Oakland -> Hayward BART tracks? Do you know what it means to go scrapin’ by on a scraper bike? These are just a few of the cool headlines in transportation and transit that caught our eye this week.
To get these headlines daily (as well as info on sweet 511CC promotions), follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook. As an additional bonus, we pick one Twitter and Facebook winner to receive $25 to Peet’s Coffee and Tea every month. For a list of lucky peeps, click here (Twitter winners) and here (Facebook winners). Now onto the good stuff:
Upcoming Events & Meetings
- Mon. 1/31, 6:30-9:30 PM: TRANSPAC Meeting on SB 375 (click to open PDF)
- 2011: Bay Area cycling events
- Weekends in January: BART delays of 10-20 min. in the Pittsburg/Bay Point direction
- Sun. 2/13 from 2-6 PM: Come meet Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Tom Ritchey & more at The Broken Drum Brewery and help Trips for Kids
- Sat. 2/19: Planned opening date for West Dublin/Pleasanton BART station
Local News (Contra Costa County & East Bay)
- Scraper Bike Team in Oakland provides lessons for sustainable businesses
- Construction to close Highway 4 near Antioch this weekend
- Monthly reserved parking permits available for new West Dublin/Pleasanton BART station
- 12-mile bike path under elevated BART tracks between Oakland and Hayward planned
- Why do fewer kids walk or bike to school, compared to one generation ago?
Bay Area & California News
- Golden Gate Bridge set to shut tollbooths
- Bay Area refinery work may spike gas prices soon – time to try transit?
- Interactive, digital bus shelters let San Francisco neighborhoods play games & compete for an OK Go! concert
- BART looks at possible seating choices for new train cars
Other Biking, Transit, Air Quality & Transportation News