Bicycling is a great alternative to driving. It’s less expensive, reduces traffic congestion and cuts down on emissions while keeping you active. We have the resources to help you find the best routes to work, locate bike parking, and ride safely. We can also help your business become bicycle friendly.
Map Your Ride
The 511CC Bike Mapper is a valuable bike trip mapping service. The simple interface generates nine route options for you to pick from when you select from three hill tolerances and three levels of bike infrastructure: adherence to mostly bike paths, bike lanes, or the most direct route. The Contra Costa Bike Mapper covers the majority of the 9-county Bay Area.
Contra Costa Bike Maps can help you plan your route.
Park Your Bike
Find secure bike locker parking with our Bike Locker Map.
Almost all BART stations have bike racks and most BART stations have secure bike lockers or a Bike Station. In Contra Costa County, the Pleasant Hill BART Bike Station is directly across from the station’s main entrance and provides 24-hour access to secure indoor bike parking. Retail sales and bike repairs are available in the station weekdays from 7am-11am. Access requires a BikeLink card.
Does your office need a bike rack? 511 Contra Costa can provide bike lockers and racks for business sites, retail centers, schools, colleges, and public buildings to support bicycle use. Encourage your employer to complete the Bike Rack Request Form.
Drive Less $25 Incentive is available to qualified commuters who make the switch from diving alone to pedal power.
Bike to Work Day 2020
Bike to Work Day 2020, originally scheduled for May 14, has been rescheduled to September 24 and will be celebrated as Bike to Wherever Day. We are looking forward to a traditional celebration of bike commuting next year!
Regional Bike Events
Bay Area Bike Events: Looking for a new ride? Our Bike Events page features a calendar of different bike rides and events—everything from weekly road rides and annual charity rides to social rides and bike classes. And if you happen to know of a bike ride or event we don’t have listed, let us know about it! Send the event info to email@example.com. has lots of different bike rides and eventsIf you looking for regular bike rides in your area, annual events, Find casual group rides, bicycle club rides, repair lessons, bike parties, bicycle bingo, and more!
Bikesharing is ideal for short-distance commute trips and errands. While options are limited in Contra Costa County, bikeshare is available in other areas of the Bay.
If you commute by BART to Oakland, Berkeley or San Francisco, grab a bike to finish your trip or take one for a spin at lunch. Simply download the app for the bikeshare service and pick up a bicycle from a dedicated station or by locating a dockless bike. Take the bike for a spin and return it within the system’s service area.
Bikes on Transit
If biking the distance between home and work seems intimidating, it’s not cheating to add a bus or BART trip to your commute. Bikes are welcome on BART and on area transit buses.
While bikes are allowed on BART at all times, there are rules to be aware of:
- Bikes are never allowed on crowded cars
- Bikes are not allowed in the first car
- Bikes are not allowed in the first three cars during commute hours
- Folded bikes are allowed in all cars at all times
- Bicyclists must use elevators or stairs, not escalators
To read the full list of rules, visit the Bikes on BART webpage.
Additional Resources for Bike Commuting
- Bicycle safety
- Protecting Your Bike: The Bike East Bay guide
- California Bicycle Coalition bike commuting basics
- BikeExchange guide to buying a commuter bike
- Regular maintenance for the bicycle commuter
- Park Tool repair help: In-depth repair info and videos
- Bicycling.com: 14 commuter pros share their secrets
- Bay Area Bike access on transit, bridges and tunnels
- Nominate Your Bike Inspiration for Bike Commuter of the Year - Mar 2, 2020
- 511CC & the Miles App: Get Rewarded for Your Commute - Sep 21, 2019
- Green Commute Contest: Win a $20 BART Ticket - Jul 19, 2019
- Enter the Summer Bike Challenge 2019 Grand Prize Drawing by Sept. 3 - Jun 3, 2019
- Quick Start Guide: Bike To Work Day 2019 - May 1, 2019