What is Micromobility?
Micromobility is a category of affordable, light-weight transportation ideal for trips of five miles or less and designed for individual use. Shared bikes, e-bikes, e-scooters, and docked bikes are micromobility options available in the Bay Area that can be useful for:
- Getting to or from BART without having to bring your bike with you on the train.
- Running an errand or grabbing a bite on your lunch break when it’s too far to walk.
- Fun, recreational trips like touring dowtown.
Bikesharing is ideal for short distance, point-to-point trips. Users can pick up a bicycle from a dedicated bike station or by locating a dockless bike via app, take it for a spin, then return it within the system’s service area. Bikesharing differs from traditional bicycle rental services in that it is typically used for short, spontaneous trips that are often combined with other transportation modes like transit.
Bay Wheels is a bikesharing system offering both bicycles and e-bikes. It combines dockless and docked bikesharing, allowing users to return their bike to a docking station or lock it to a public bike rack. Bikes are located and rented using the Lyft app. Currently, Bay Wheels bikes are available in San Francisco, Emeryville, Oakland, Berkeley, and San Jose.
Scootersharing is a service where electric scooters (e-scooters) are made available for short-term rental. In the Bay Area, e-scooters are available dockless, which means they can be located via app and returned anywhere in the service area. Scooters are parked near the curb on sidewalks, and users ride in bike lanes or in the street – when no bike lanes are present. E-scooters are convenient to use in combination with other forms of transportation to complete the first or last mile of a commute.
Lime Electric Scooters
Currently, Lime is the only e-scooter company operating in Contra Costa County. Through the Lime app, riders can locate, reserve, and rent Lime-S scooters. At present, it costs $1.00 to unlock a scooter and $0.15 for every minute driven.
- Rancho Medanos Junior High School: Bike & Roll to School – April 29, 2015 - Apr 22, 2015
- Walnut Creek Intermediate School: Bike & Roll to School – April 28, 2015 - Apr 7, 2015
- Antioch Middle School: Bike & Roll to School – April 23, 2015 - Mar 31, 2015
- Pine Hollow Middle School: Bike & Roll to School – April 2, 2015 - Mar 31, 2015
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Junior High: Bike & Roll to School – April 15, 2015 - Mar 31, 2015