What is Micromobility?
Micromobility is an affordable new mode of transportation focused on short trips of five miles or less. It is a term used to cover e-bikes, e-scooters, and docked bikes – all of which are available by the minute for short trips or for the first/last mile of longer trips. An easy and affordable solution to the first and last mile transportation problem, there are many scenarios where micromobility is useful:
- Getting to/from BART without having to bring your bike on the train or having to lock it up at the station or work.
- Going somewhere on bikeshare to meet friends and will have a ride home.
- Biking to school when its nice out, but not having to worry about biking home if it rains (take transit or rideshare home instead).
Bikesharing is an innovative transportation program, ideal for short distance point-to-point trips providing users the ability to pick up a bicycle from a dedicated bike station or by locating a dockless bike via app, and return it within the system’s service area. Bikesharing differs from traditional bicycle rental services in that it is typically used for short, spontaneous trips that are often combined with other transportation modes like transit.
Bay Wheels is a bikesharing system offering both bicycles and e-bikes. It combines dockless and docked bikesharing, allowing users to return their bike to a docking station or lock it to a public bike rack. Bikes are located and rented using the Lyft app. Currently, Bay Wheels bikes are available in San Francisco, Emeryville, Oakland, Berkeley, and San Jose.
BRiteBikes at Bishop Ranch
BRiteBikes by Social Bicycles was the first bikesharing service to operate in Contra Costa County. BRiteBikes is a free bikeshare system provided by Bishop Ranch for its tenants only. Want to run an errand or go out to lunch? Grab a bike for your trip and enjoy some fresh air! Find and reserve a bike using the Social Bicycles mobile app or by using a bike’s keypad. For more information on how to use BRiteBikes visit the BRiteBikes website.
Scootersharing is a service where electric scooters (e-scooters) are made available for short-term rental. In the Bay Area, e-scooters are available only on a dockless basis, which means they can be located via app and returned anywhere in the service area. Scooters are parked near the curb on sidewalks, and users ride in bike lanes or in the street – when no bike lanes are present. E-scooters are convenient to use in conjunction with other forms of transportation for first- and last-mile travel.
Lime Electric Scooters
Currently, Lime is the only e-scooter company operating in Contra Costa. Through the Lime app, riders can locate, reserve, and rent Lime-S scooters. At present, it costs $1.00 to unlock a scooter and $0.15 for every minute driven.
- Rancho Medanos Junior High School: Bike & Roll to School – April 29 - Apr 22, 2015
- Walnut Creek Intermediate School: Bike & Roll to School – April 28 - Apr 7, 2015
- Antioch Middle School: Bike & Roll to School – April 23 - Mar 31, 2015
- Pine Hollow Middle School: Bike & Roll to School – April 2 - Mar 31, 2015
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Junior High: Bike & Roll to School – April 15 - Mar 31, 2015