Latest Vanpool News
Vanpooling: Save Time, Save Money
Ridesharing is a growing trend in both the US and the San Francisco Bay Area. With over 500 active vanpools in the region, chances are a van is headed where you are going! When you vanpool you:
- Save time using Express Lanes and HOV lanes on the approach to bridges
- Save money sharing gas and parking costs
- Reduce wear and tear on your personal vehicle
- Work, read or nap while traveling to and from work
Joining a Vanpool
Vanpool Incentive: As an incentive to join a vanpool, we’ll pay half your costs for the first three months. To qualify, the vanpool must have a Contra Costa County origin or destination, and you cannot have been a member of a vanpool in the last six months or have claimed this benefit previously.
Find a Vanpool Headed Your Way: The regional Vanpooling: Seats Available page will tell you which vanpools have available seats and where the vanpool routes originate and end. You can also dial ‘511’ on your phone and say ‘Rideshare’ to receive a free, customized matchlist of vanpools going your way. Check with your employer.
For Current Vanpool Riders: If you recently joined a vanpool, click the button below to apply for the Vanpool Passenger Incentive.
Starting a New Vanpool
Starting a vanpool is easier than you might think. No special driver’s license is required, and 511’s consultants will help you lease a van, recruit passengers, get discounted parking permits, and access free bridge tolls.
To start a vanpool, you’ll need:
- Seven passengers (including the driver)
- To register your vanpool with the 511 RideMatch Service
- To complete the vanpool forms on 511 SF Bay’s Start Vanpool page
511 SF Bay will help you recruit passengers once you’ve registered your vanpool. For a full list of tools 511 SF Bay makes available to vanpool drivers, click here.
Vanpool Lease Rebates up to $2400
Start a new vanpool with a Contra Costa origin or destination and get up to $200 a month towards your lease payment for the first year!‡
‡While program funds last
Earn an Extra $1,000
Drivers who start a new vanpool and keep it on the road for at least one year could be eligible to receive a $1,000 cash bonus.* To apply, contact 511 Contra Costa directly at (925) 973-2650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a registration form.
* To qualify, the vanpool must have a Contra Costa County origin or destination, and you cannot have been a member of a vanpool in the last six months. You may only participate in this program one time.
For additional information on vanpools, explore the following links: