Guaranteed Ride Home
You’re Guaranteed a Ride Home!
Do you walk, bicycle, carpool, vanpool, or take public transit to work, but worry about being stranded during an emergency? 511 Contra Costa’s Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) program alleviates this problem by providing “commuter insurance” for alternative commuters who need a ride home due to unexpected circumstances.
The program is free to commuters who work in Contra Costa County and participants can use the program up to six (6) times in a calendar year. See details below.
Don’t work in Contra Costa? Check out the program in your county of employment using the table below.
(Santa Clara County does not currently have an emergency/guaranteed ride home program)
Once you’ve made the trip (save your receipt!), fill out the Reimbursement Form within 14 days.
- Participants must pre-register in the program. There is no cost to employers or employees to participate.
- Participants are eligible to use the Guaranteed Ride Home as long as they have used a qualified commute alternative on the day they need assistance
- Qualified commute alternatives include carpool, vanpool, shuttles, transit (bus, BART, ferry, train), bicycling, and walking, and commute apps that are specifically for carpooling (such as Scoop and Waze Carpool).
- Non-qualified commute alternatives include driving alone, motorcycles, and Transportation Network Companies/ride hailing apps (such as Uber or Lyft)
- Emergency-related side trips – such as picking up a sick child from school or getting a prescription filled at a pharmacy – are permitted.
- Only emergency rides home for commutes that originate in Contra Costa County are eligible for reimbursement
- We will accept reimbursement requests for trips using: taxi, bike rental, public transit, or Transportation Network Companies (Uber, Lyft, etc.). Car rentals may be eligible for reimbursement if no other means are reasonably available.
- Participants can be reimbursed a maximum of 6 times per calendar year (January-December).
- The first two (2) trips are reimbursed at 100% of the GRH trip (max. reimbursement: $150.00 per trip); the next four (4) reimbursements will be at 75% of the GRH trip (max. reimbursement: $100.00 per trip). The program does not cover tips.
- 511 Contra Costa may contact your employer to verify employment information or information on a reimbursement claim.
- You acknowledge that participating in GRH does not come without risk and that 511 Contra Costa, its supporting agencies, and its funders are not liable for any damages that may occur while participating in this program
You will be reimbursed for the trip home if:
- You took an alternate mode to work on the day of your reimbursement request
- You or an immediate family member suffers an illness, injury, or severe crisis
- You are asked by your supervisor to work unscheduled overtime which causes you to miss your carpool, vanpool, or last transit ride
- Your ridesharing vehicle breaks down or the driver has to unexpectedly stay late or leave early
- Your bicycle is stolen or breaks down and cannot be repaired at work or on the way home
- You have a break-in, flood, fire, or other emergency at your residence
- Your transit mode is shut down for the day
The Guaranteed Ride Home MAY NOT BE USED FOR:
- Personal errands or travel
- Pre-planned medical or dental appointments for participants or commute vehicle driver.
- Business-related travel
- Working overtime without a supervisor’s request
- Transit delays (that don’t include a system shut down)
- Non-emergency side trips on the way home
- Rental car fuel costs
- Failure to schedule a ride home with your online ride-matching service or app (e.g. Scoop, Waze Carpool). Note: Please review your online ride-matching app or service for Guaranteed Ride Home guidelines and use those program offerings when using these commute alternatives
- Ambulance service
- Trips to work
Mail: 511 Contra Costa GRH Program, 6333 Potrero Avenue, Ste 100 El Cerrito, CA 94530
Terms and Conditions
The GRH program is available to employees who travel to and from the workplace by carpool (including carpool apps but not including single passenger ridehailing services), vanpool, public transportation, walking or bicycling. Participants must agree to, on behalf of their heirs, successors, or assigns, release, indemnify and hold harmless their employer, the West Contra Costa Transportation Advisory Committee (WCCTAC) and 511 Contra Costa, from any and all claims, and demands of any kind whatsoever, including but not limited to, any liability for personal injury, loss, theft or damage to personal property, loss of income, consequential damages resulting from use of the program or delays or absence and/or termination of the service. Furthermore, participants understand that if they incorrectly use this service they may be restricted from using GRH again.
511 Contra Costa and WCCTAC will not share your personal information with any third parties, aside from what is necessary to process a reimbursement claim or otherwise fulfill the intent of the program. We may contact your employer to verify the veracity of a claim or to verify employment status and/or employment location.
We reserve the right to alter the terms of this program.
All Guaranteed Ride Home reimbursements are subject to funding availability.