Older drivers are often the safest drivers, since they are more likely to wear their seatbelts and less likely to speed or drink and drive. However, older drivers are more likely to be killed or seriously hurt when a crash does occur due to their greater susceptibility to injury.
is an educational program offering older adults the opportunity to check how well their personal vehicles “fit” them. A trained team, including occupational therapy practitioners, will assist older drivers in assuring they leave with:
• A clear line of sight over the steering wheel
• Adequate space between the front airbag/steering wheel and the driver’s breastbone
• Properly adjusted head restraints and proper positioning on the gas & brake pedals
• Proper seat belt fit and instruction on proper use
• Safe positioning of mirrors to minimize blind spots
The Pleasant Hill Commission on Aging will host a CarFit event for Pleasant Hill Seniors on Saturday, May 2, from 10am-1:00pm, consisting of a series of personal appointments. ... Read the rest