PITTSBURG, CA – Congressman John Garamendi (D-Walnut Creek, CA), a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, today issued the following statement after attending the groundbreaking for the Highway 4/Loveridge Road Widening Project:
“The Highway 4 Widening Project is a win, win, win for the Bay Area. It means thousands of new jobs, less congestion, and improved public transit access. Federal, state, and local government officials worked together to secure the necessary $165.4 million for this project.
“By widening a two mile stretch of highway between Antioch and Pittsburg riddled with congestion problems, we are creating 3,000 direct and indirect jobs and laying the groundwork for eBART to Antioch.
“In our present economy, smart investments in projects that create quality jobs and lasting infrastructure must be prioritized. The Highway 4 Widening Project lives up to that standard.”
The $165.4 million project is funded through a combination of federal, state, and local funds. This Project represents a cooperative effort among the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), the Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART).
The Loveridge Road Widening Project involves widening to eight lanes approximately two miles of State Route from Pittsburg to Antioch. Each direction will have three mixed flow lanes and one High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) from just west of the Loveridge Road Interchange to west of the Somersville Road Interchange. The new roadway will be concrete and will use 40,000 cubic yards of concrete. The project will consist of five new bridges, 12 new retaining walls, and five new signalized intersections, as well as the reconstruction of California Avenue and Loveridge Road.
- Highway 4 Expansion Project Aims To Cut Congestion (CBS 5 / KCBS)
- Official Highway 4 widening project website
- Groundbreaking Ceremony for State Route 4 Widening at Loveridge Road Project – Caltrans District 4 Press Release (June 7, 2010)
- Congressman Garamendi Joins Senator DeSaulnier and Other Local Officials at Highway 4 Widening Project Groundbreaking – Office of John Garamendi Press Release (June 7, 2010)
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority SR 4 widening information page