TRANSPAC / 511 Contra Costa invites applications for Street Smarts Program Leader
Temporary / Part Time / No Benefits
SALARY: $20 per hour
HOURS: Monday through Friday, 20-25 hours per week
Flexible based on school hours (e.g. 7:30-11:00am, 8:00am-12:30pm)
August-May schedule congruent with school calendar (no work likely during June, July or December)
APPLY BY: Friday, September 28, 2012, by 1:00 P.M. Interviews will be conducted on Tuesday, October 9, 2012
511 Contra Costa is a transportation demand management (TDM) program that promotes the use of transportation alternatives to the single-occupant vehicle on behalf of Central and East Contra Costa County jurisdictions. Services include Municipal Support, Community Programs, Student Programs and Employer Programs. As part of our Student Programs, 511 Contra Costa recently developed the Street Smarts Diablo Region program to compliment its other school-based multi modal programs. Street Smarts Diablo Region is a school-based K-12 Traffic Safety Program to educate pedestrians, cyclists and drivers in Central and East Contra Costa County. We are looking for an energetic and highly motivated individual to join our Street Smarts Diablo Region team and promote safety, biking, walking and health.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
• Planning and preparing school-site education and outreach efforts;
• Scheduling and conducting safety presentations, assemblies and bicycle rodeos;
• Implementing walking and bicycling encouragement efforts;
• Promoting traffic safety education at community events;
• Maintaining collaborative and effective relationships with schools, parents, and community-based organizations;
• Develop and maintain databases; and
• Keep records and prepare reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of effective teaching and public speaking techniques;
• Knowledge of school outreach and communication practices;• Ability to plan, coordinate and conduct, with minimum oversight, pedestrian and bicycle safety presentations to grades K-8;
• Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisor, school officials, the general public, etc. with the command of the English language sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction;
• Ability to attend school events and other community events;
• Ability to plan and organize program elements;
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks;
• Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and set-up traffic safety demonstration equipment;
• Ability to attend bicycle education courses;
• Skilled knowledge and use of Microsoft Office software;
• Other skills include reliability, dependability, maturity, creativity and enthusiasm; and
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
Experience and Education
• Two years experience in a capacity working in a school, community outreach, recreation setting (summer camp, youth education, team sports, etc)
• At least one or more years of college is preferred; or
• An equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
• Fingerprinting and local background check administered by the City of Pleasant Hill;
• Must have a valid California driver’s license;
• Must have a reliable personal vehicle to travel throughout Central and East Contra Costa County to attend meetings and school events
• Ability to submit proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
The most qualified candidates will be invited for an oral board interview, based on background and experience as evidenced by their applications.
Please forward the completed application form and resume to City of Pleasant Hill Human Resources Department, 100 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. Application materials must be received by 1:00 p.m. Friday, September 28, 2012. Applications may be obtained from the City of Pleasant Hill, 100 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA. Applications may also be downloaded from the City’s website at www.ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us
For further information, phone (925) 671-5221.
RESUMES ARE NOT ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF CITY APPLICATION.
Immigration Reform and Control Act
To comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, all new employees are required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States on their first day of employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), requests for special accommodations during any stage of the examination process should be made in advance to the Human Resources Department.
Download this announcement as a pdf