Contra Costa Schools Celebrating 'Walk to School Day': October 7 & 21, 2015
Walk to School Day began in the US in 1997 as a one-day event aimed at building awareness for the need for walkable communities. Now the event is part of a year-round movement for Safe Routes to School, with an annual celebration each October.
This year, 11 Contra Costa County schools in 5 cities are teaming up with Street Smarts Diablo to celebrate Walk to School Day! School events in Concord, Pittsburg and Walnut Creek will happen on October 7, while Brentwood and Oakley schools will celebrate on October 21.
Here are some great reasons to encourage students to walk to school:
- Walking builds physical fitness and instills healthy habits
- Walking reduces traffic
- Walking saves you money on gas
- Walking makes a difference in the environment
- Walking helps children connect with other students & their neighborhood
Whether it’s Bike to School Day or any other day, please remind children to walk safely:
- Use crosswalks
- Stop, look & listen before crossing, and
- Walk with a buddy!