511 Contra Costa is proud to announce the start of its 2010 Bicycle Commuter Assistance Program class for 2010. For the past two Saturdays, 15 Contra Costa residents have been taking the League of American Bicyclists‘ “Traffic Skills 101” class. Each Saturday, students learned basic bicycle mechanics, riding skills and the experience needed to ride their bicycle safely in traffic. Emphasis was placed on students becoming good ambassadors for the cycling community.
Graduates of the bicycle program have committed to trying to ride their bicycles to work about two days a week for three months. The Bicycle Commuter Assistance Program is the only program of its kind in the nation, sponsored by 511CC. Through this program, 511 Contra Costa not only provides League of American Bicyclist’s training, but also incentivizes participants to ride their bicycle to work with free transit tickets.
Interested in participating? Unfortunately, the deadline has passed for the 2010 511CC BCAP registration, but we have other events and resources for both novice and experienced bikers:
- 2010 Bike to Work Day – Take advantage of discounts offered by local bike shops, find Energizer stations along your bike to work route, or sign up for the Team Bike Challenge
- Bike Buck$ – Sign up and reward yourself with $10 in Bike Buck$ when you ride four (4) times or more during the month of May
- Upcoming biking/cycling events for the Bay Area
- Bike maps for Contra Costa County, the East Bay and Bay Area – Plan your bike to work route or an afternoon hitting the trails with our map resources
- A map of public bike locker and bike rack locations