Come help celebrate National Bike Month and California Bike Commute Week in May with Bike to Work Day. Bike to Work Day is a promotional event to encourage non-bike riders to try commuting by bicycle. Bike to Work Day in the San Francisco Bay Area is primarily funded by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission with the help of financial donations from event sponsors and volunteers.
There were over 100 energizer stations throughout the bay region where cyclists can stop by for refreshments and promotional items.511 Contra Costa has supported cyclists and Energizer Station hosts throughout Contra Costa County since 2001 using Bay Area Air Quality Management District funds and the Contra Costa Transportation Authority’s half-cent sales tax for transportation funds.
Want to participate in BTWD, but not sure what to do? Check out our blog post, Bike to Work Day: Are you ready?
Contra Costa Bike Commuter of the Year
Brentwood’s Al Lim was the 2011 Contra Costa County Bike Commuter of the Year. Read how Al’s determination, humility and dedication to bicycling inspires his friends, family and coworkers. More >>
Contra Costa Team Bike Challenge Winners
- Mokelumne Trail at Sutter Delta Hospital, 6- 8:30am and 4-6 pm, City of Antioch
- Corner of Deer Valley Road and Wellness Way, 6:00am-9:30am and 1-3pm, Kaiser Antioch Medical Center
- Somersville/Buchanan, 7-9am, Tri Delta Transit
- Sand Creek Road / Shady Willow Lane, 7-9am, Brentwood REI
- City Park, 2nd and Oak Street, 7-9am, Delta Pedalers
- Corner of Rosebrook Terrace and Central Blvd. 7:45-9am, Ron Nunn Elementary School
- Concord BART, 6-9am, Bank of America
- Iron Horse Trail behind Lunardi’s , 6:30-9am, Town of Danville and the San Ramon Valley Street Smarts Program
- Iron Horse Trail at Paraiso Drive/ John Baldwin School, 7-9am, Street Smarts and Danville Police Department
- Bike Lockers at the Ohlone Greenway (across from the El Cerrito Plaza BART), 7-9am, City of El Cerrito
- 3826 San Pablo Dam Road (both sides of the street), 7-9am, and 4-6pm The Pedaler Bike Shop
- Lafayette Plaza Park (corner of Mt. Diablo Blvd. and Moraga Rd. ), 6-8:30am City of Lafayette-Bike/Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Lafayette Plaza Park, 3-5pm, Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
- Lafayette BART (outside Lafayette BART Kiosk), 7-9am, Hank and Frank Bicycles
- Capitol Corridor Station, 5:15am-9:30am, Richard Anderson
- 4797 Imhoff Place, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Moraga Way/Brookwood Rd (Beverages and More parking lot), 6-8am, City of Orinda
- DeAnza Trail at Railroad, 6:30-8:30am, City of Pittsburg
- LMC Campus – Quad Area, 9am-1pm, Los Medanos College
- Pleasant Hill Contra Costa Center BART 6:30-9am REI, Concord
- Iron Horse Trail just north of Pleasant Hill BART Station, 4-6:30pm Genworth
- Contra Costa Canal Trail / Golf Club Road, 4:30pm-6:30pm, DVC
- Pleasant Hill/Contra Costa Centre BART station (near paid area), 4-6:30pm, Contra Costa Transportation Authority
- Richmond Bay Trail at Marina Bay Park, SunPower and Richmond Spokes, 7-9am
- 914 Marina Way South at Main Entrance, 7-9am, Kaiser Permanente Regional Laboratory
- Richmond BART Station near bike lockers in upper courtyard, 7-9am, Building Blocks for Kids/Major Taylor
- The Greenway, Ohio Ave and 6th Street, 7-9am, Groundwork Richmond
- Richmond Home Depot at Greenway (Connector between Ohlone Trail and Richmond Greenway), 7 -9am, Richmond Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- 13052 San Pablo Ave, 7-10am, CARS (Complete Auto Repair Service)
- Iron Horse Trail / Crow Canyon Rd 6-9am, City of San Ramon and PG&E
- Iron Horse Trail / Bollinger Canyon,6:00 am – 6:00pm, Bishop Ranch Transportation Center
- 100 Sunset Dr., 8am-6pm, Whole Foods Market San Ramon
- South Broadway / Newell, 6:30-9am, Whole Foods Market
- Iron Horse Trail / Canal Trail Crossing, 6:30-9am, County Connection and 511 Contra Costa/Renaissance ClubSport 4-7pm
- Ygnacio Valley Rd/N. California corner (BART), 6-9am, City of Walnut Creek
- 2901 Ygnacio Valley Rd / Breeze Way, 6:30-9am, Encina Bike Shop
- North Wiget on the Canal Trail, 7:30-9:30am, Renaissance ClubSport
- 1931 First Ave, Lindsay Wildlife Museum, 9am to noon, Lindsay Wildlife Museum
- Walnut Creek BART station, 4-6pm, Mikes Bikes of Walnut Creek
- Canal Trail off North Wiget, 4-6pm, Kaiser Permanente
- 320 Lennon Lane (Kaiser), 12-2pm, Kaiser Permanente
The Bike to Work Day website has google maps of energizer stations all over the bay area. Click here for a map of Contra Costa County energizer stations. A list of all energizer station region maps is available here.
Need help with your route? Check out our selection of free paper and on-line bike maps.
Bike to Work Day Photos
The 511CC flickr stream is chock full of Bike to Work Day photos from years past. Check out the Bike to Work Day photo archives here. We are also compiling an archive of older Bike to Work Day photos, which you can check out here.
Submit your photos and/or videos of Bike to Work Day to enter for a chance to win $25 Peet’s Coffee & Tea! Submissions must be sent by May 18, 2011 5pm PST to be eligible for the prize drawing. Send your photos and/or videos via Twitter or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to the following public agencies and companies who are sponsoring Energizer Stations.